Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekly Reflection #1

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekly Reflection #1

           

            This was the first week of my senior project shadowing the veterinarian Kristi Gaff at the Avalon Animal Hospital in Franklin, New Hampshire.  I learned many things about animals.  I observed animal appointments, both routine appointments and those that were scheduled because the animal was sick.  I learned how to tell certain diseases from blood tests.  Those included were Lyme disease, heartworm, leukemia in cats, and feline HIV.  I learned how to handle dogs that were more vicious and untrained, and how to avoid scratches and bites from both cats and dogs.  I also learned about neutering and spaying surgeries.  I learned that spayings are more dangerous, as you actually have to make an incision to go inside the cat or dog to spay them.  I also learned a lot about broken bones in animals and the different ways to treat them.  I learned about young kittens and how long it takes them to grow, open their eyes, and how long until they can be separated from their mother. 

I really enjoyed working with the animals and learning little “tidbit” facts about them.  Observing appointments was also pleasant because I could learn about the specific needs of that animal.  Sometimes I was asked to not attend certain appointments.  This is understandable, because Dr. Gaff doesn’t want me to get hurt by particularly dangerous animals.  The biggest surprise I had this week was when a litter of kittens and their mother was abandoned and Avalon took them in and is currently taking care of them.  I have benefited a lot from this experience so far by being able to understand more about animals’ personalities.

2 comments:

  1. Does Dr. Gaff have a "watch" list for animals that she sees on a regular basis that are problematic? e.g.:cats that bite & scratch & dogs that nip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping she has a watch list for Allegra, so she doesn't get bitten! (:
    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete